As proud members of the (AESC) Association of Executive Search and Leadership Consultants we have adopted the AESC's Client Bill of Rights as our own. For more information please contact: www.aesc.org
Introducing new leaders can have a significant impact on market perception, consumer confidence and employee engagement. Choosing the right executive search firm is a critical business decision with long-term impact. What are your rights and obligations as a client?
For more than 50 years, the Association of Executive Search and Leadership Consultants (AESC) has set the standards for the profession. AESC members are ethical, experienced and committed to excellence. You can expect the following when working with TRANSEARCH International as an AESC member.
1. We provide our clients with an accurate and candid assessment of its capabilities to perform your search.
That assessment includes a firm's internal resources, knowledge of the function and industry in which the search will be conducted, and an understanding of the client's cultural or regulatory environment.
2. We forthcoming about the client team.
Clients should be sure to meet with the individual consultant and the team who will handle the search assignment.
3. We develop a thorough understanding of the organisation and its hiring objectives.
Effective, successful searches require that the consultant possess a deep knowledge and understanding of a client’s unique executive talent needs, organisational culture, customer strategy and regulatory challenges.
4. We provide a high-level consultative relationship.
An executive search firm works in partnership with a client to help define the assignment, identify candidates, assess using sophisticated methodology and select those best suited through comprehensive, quality-assured search processes.
5. We hold client information in strict confidence.
The executive search process requires that clients divulge highly sensitive information. The ethical search consultant treats any and all information with the utmost confidentiality while still providing necessary information to candidates.
TRANSEARCH International strictly adheres to the AESC Code of Professional Practice and Standards of Excellence and have made a commitment to protecting client and candidate confidentiality, thereby preserving our own integrity and that of the profession.
6. We provide clients with regular, detailed status reports on the progress of the search.
Depending on the position to be filled, the availability of talent, and a host of other factors, a successful search can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.
7. We present qualified candidates who fit the position and the culture of the client organisation.
Executive search consultants present a range of qualified candidates, and for each candidate the effective firm presents:
- Experience and achievements relative to the position to be filled
- Education and background
- Intellectual, interpersonal and motivation competencies
- Personal strengths and weaknesses with respect to the position to be filled
- Perceived cultural fit
- Interest in the position and remuneration and financial expectations
One aspect of the search consultant's partnership with clients is assisting with their internal review of candidates, including interviewing techniques that avoid unconscious gender bias.
8. We are invested in the entire process and help the client negotiate with the final candidate.
Once a client has selected a final candidate, the role of the executive search consultant evolves from that of search agent to negotiator and communicator.
We recognise that our behaviour reflects directly on the client, and can influence the likelihood that a candidate will accept the client's offer.
9. We provide the clients with a clear understanding of any replacement policies and other unusual situations that may arise during and after the search.
Our executive search consultants provide in writing an explanation of the firm's policy regarding possible outcomes.
10. We commit to follow-through.
As a trusted advisor, our responsibility does not end when the candidate accepts an offer. As your committed partner:
- Assists with onboarding and integration
- Contributes to a smooth transition for candidates
- Remains in communication with the new hire for a period of time for support
- Determines with the client that a search is indeed concluded
How can clients maximise the value of the relationship?
Because executive search is a specialised form of management consulting, retaining an executive search firm for an exclusive assignment is a strategic decision. In order to maximise the benefit of that relationship, clients:
- Select an executive search partner with tremendous care and diligence
- Set clear expectations and establish an understanding of the agreement with special attention to conflicts, restrictions, and other provisions
- Provide full and accurate information on the position and the organisation
- Proactively address concerns during the course of the assignment
- Communicate fully, clearly, and openly
The competition for top executive talent is intense, and the stakes have never been higher. Trust and integrity are at the core of a successful relationship and a successful search. Clients are wise to choose gold-standard firms at the top of the profession and should partner only with firms that are committed to professional excellence in executive search and leadership consulting: members of AESC.
Download the Original Extended version of the AESC’s Client Bill of Rights here